Thursday, March 5, 2015

Not Properly Dead (2015)

One of my troubles in writing about the theories of past men is the not the gender-specific pronouns and generalizations, but the fact that I am inherently, even unconsciously refusing to write about them in the past tense. “Here Benjamin introduces the notion of….” “McLuhan writes this in regards to media…” “In ____, Camus writes…” My English grammar practice from grade school is shifting about uncomfortably, but my passion for piecing together the theories of media, myth, metaphor, narrative and anti-fascist culture is completely revolting against the truth that these theorists are dead. I guess when I do I will be ready to pick up the theoretical torch, or if I can’t grammatically lay my favorite writers to rest then the subversion necessary for life in the apparatus will eclipse the teaching of high school and college English.

No comments:

Post a Comment