Friday, July 13, 2018

Impact Teacher (Summer 2017)


People who know my father and I comment on how similar we are in our mannerisms and speech, but it’s his role as an educator and mentor to me that I wish to deconstruct below.  Dr. Lee, my father, is a psychologist and educator.  He currently sees clients in a private practice, teaches graduate level course at Western Michigan University and consults an array of professionals in ‘diversity trainings’ all over the country. 
In grade school, many of my teachers would know me because of my father’s work in consulting for the school district.  My earliest memory of working with my dad was reading off anonymous surveys taken from participants of his diversity trainings.  His business card read, “Dr. D. John Lee and Associates.”  When I asked him who the associates were he said, “you are,” then proceeded to tell me the real-world application of incorporating a lone enterprise.  It was an honor when teachers asked if I was John Lee’s son.  This established the respect I hold for my father as an educator: if he can teach teachers than he could teach me infinitely more.  The involvement in his work when I was young not only gave me a sense of value, which he increased by including me as an ‘associate,’ but also opportunities to extrapolate on the workings of the world, which he and I continue to do to this day even if people aren’t necessarily wondering how the world works as we see it.  This approach of educating everyone around us is a result of the value of knowledge that my father cultivated within me, and frankly, that’s one of the greatest gifts that a teacher can give to a citizen of the world.  It’s hard to pinpoint the roots of a value of knowledge, but I think it derives from the authentic interest and attention my father gave to my personal intellectual endeavors.  He made me feel validated and independent.
During high-school my father took me to my first protest and then took me away from said protest when snowballs were thrown at the police.  We got lunch afterwards and talked leftist politics.  Radical movements all around the world became my sole focus after my punk band disbanded in high school.  My dad had always had leftist leanings, but my radical pursuits allowed him to further develop his - a fact he reminds me of and thanks me for regularly.  Provision. Dialogue. Mutual aid.  Provision is basic, but entirely relevant to education.  My dad provided for his family.  I never went to school hungry or in want of anything reasonable, especially Noam Chomsky books which I was reading about one every week at my pique.  I try not to take this for granted now for I did when I was a teenager, but I know increasingly that access to food and clean water is a pressing issue for people.  My mentor provided that for me, and then some.  When we break bread together, whether after protests or at holidays we dialogue about the things relevant to us and the socio-economic landscape.  We make our own curriculum, we always have and always will.  This is discussion and mutual aid.  By sharing our experiences and passions in a respectful and loving environment, we can grow the manifest of our minds twofold. 
The lecture my dad gave at the Christian Anarchist gathering in Ohio on the beatitudes as a blueprint for social justice was a great joy for myself as a budding anti-authoritarian.  I was interested in attending a conference and expressed this to my dad who then not only takes me but prepares a talk regarding something dear to his heart and relevant to the gathering.  That was one of the greatest father-son moments I can remember. 
I look forward to what I can learn from my father as we both get older.  There are talks of co-writing a text based off some of his diversity training work: this would bring it full circle.  Status quo beware – there will be two Lees collaborating against business-as-usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment