Friday, July 13, 2018

Meeting Chomsky (Sunday, February 11, 2018)



            I’ve never experienced such danger as when driving through freezing rain from Lansing to Detroit to see my intellectual hero, Noam Chomsky.  The windshield wiper mounts were frozen over, so there was no fluid to de-ice the windshield.  The front defroster was as high as it would go which would melt the ice on the windshield about six inches from the bottom, but then as it traveled up, it would collect on the other approximately two-thirds of the top portion of my windshield freezing into a blinding mass.  I pulled over four times on the shoulder of the highway in that first hour to scrape my windshield.  As I leaned all the way over the steering wheel to see through the visible part of my windshield I kept thinking: Noam Chomsky…Noam Chomsky…Noam Chomsky…
            Somehow, I made it to Detroit.  I had worked my way into an invitation to the social event prior to the National Lawyers Guild (NLG) Annual Dinner later that night.  I knew it was going to be a small setting and that I must have a few words with the greatest intellectual alive.  He arrived late, as his plane had arrived late the previous night.  He wore jeans rolled up at the ankles, grey slip-on tennis shoes, a blue oxford shirt covered with that blue sweater that I recognized from the last time I streamed one of his public talks.  He smiled at us and walked into the front hall of the old house that now doubled as a law office.  People circled around him and stared.  He smiled some more and slowly people began asking him questions about his flight and such.  Eventually he made a plate, which prompted me to make a plate as I hadn’t eaten anything all day.  People gathered around him in chairs, some kneeling to hear the soft-spoken man.  He could talk about anything on the drop of a dime.  I spoke briefly with a guy about his fascination with the Meyers-Briggs test, and then with a San Francisco couple that were friends of one of the lawyer honorees at the NLG dinner.  I briefly spoke with the lady honoree herself and congratulated her for her lifetime achievement award.  After the dinner, I wish I would’ve had more time and background knowledge regarding the two honorees, but my mind was set on one thing: Professor Noam Chomsky.
            I moved my way towards the most influential thinker in my life.    When the seat next to him opened up and I sat down.  “I’m going to be a high school English teacher, and I intend to bring your essays into my classroom whenever I can.” 
“Oh really!  That’s going to be hard work.” 
“That’s what I’ve been told.” 
“Does Michigan have charter schools?” 
“This is Betsy Devos’ home state, we are ground zero –“
“Noam?  Noam.  We’ve got to get going.”
“Would you sign my book quickly before you leave?”
Noam takes my copy of Chomsky on Miseducation and signs it with a note.  I say thank you.
“In high school, I remember a lot of inspiring teachers in that rotten place.”
We shake hands, and I walk away knowing what I have to do from there on out.
“To Brandon, Good luck in what lies ahead – exciting, difficult, lots of promise! Noam Chomsky”
The rest of the day I recovered from my encounter with Saint Chomsky.  I headed over to where the dinner was being held – a United Auto Workers (UAW) hall in Dearborn – and found a Starbucks nearby for coffee and WiFi (I tried to find a local coffee spot, but to no avail).  As the place filled up, a man approached me and asked to sit with me.  We began talking.  I told him I am a pre-service English teacher and he informed me he’s teaching math at a local charter school.  He’s a Yemen immigrant; his name was A---------.  He’s frustrated with secondary education.  He said the language barrier that many young immigrant children face causes the content to be neglected which compounds as they continue up through grades so that when they reach him, they are just coming into academic English but unable to handle the content of their grade.  He wanted to return to teaching at a college as he had done in Yemen.  We get talking about Noam Chomsky obviously, and he said he is a fan.  We begin talking about world affairs and this man gets it.  He has some family in Yemen and sends them money to buy food.  I tell him everything I know about US foreign policy I learned either from, or through the critical lenses, of Noam Chomsky.  We talked about how US fuel planes are fueling Saudi Arabian fighters in the air which then in turn go commit human rights abuses and acts of war in Yemen.  The conversation is spoken in solemn, hushed tones, and I realized just how important Professor Noam Chomsky’s criticism of the United States empire really is, and how I must take on another mantle other than being an inspiring teacher – I must be a radical and relentless social critic.
I was pleasantly surprised in my small talk with other members of the National Lawyer Guild, how much this organization does and has done for the anti-capitalist, pro-indigenous, anti-State state violence, and pro-environmental causes.  Looking through the event’s publication I saw just how connected the NLG was to advocating and defending alternative social orders in the US.  The UAW hall in Dearborn felt like a monumental space for labor resistance, and it all seemed very fitting.  The only thing that didn’t fit was the jackets worn by the weight staff.  My heart goes out to them for I will always be one of them.  I had a Pabst Blue Ribbon before dinner and enjoyed a plate of greens, potatoes, chicken and cold cheeses.  I had the fullest plate at my table and sort of made it a point of pride to use my dinner roll as a napkin to clean my plate entirely.  The most wasteful way to serve people is a buffet because people’s eyes are always bigger than their stomachs.  I had not eaten all day so my plate wasn’t big enough, but I was not going back for seconds because speeches were about to begin.
A lawyer pleaded for us to donate more (I had already paid the student price of $85 to get into the event) and I realized in her speech just how far to the Left this event was.  These were not the lawyers of lawyer jokes, but the epitome of bleeding heart radicals, who although came from means or acquired a great deal of student debt, had forgone the material promises of the legal profession and gone to work to empower and defend the capital P-People.  The artists showcased were a hip-hop collective dedicated to indigenous, environmental and poor people’s causes – all causes that are entirely connected to each other and marginalized by the business-as-usual of both US governments and global capitalism.  The student honorees were tireless defenders of the People in the streets.  From Standing Rock to J20 (the Trump inauguration resistance) to the confrontation that went down on March 5th at MSU against the Neo-Nazi Richard Spencer, these young people often donned Day-Glo hats and worked as Street Lawyers hand-in-hand with the anarchists, unionists, anti-fascists, environmentalists and all the other schools of revolutionaries.  The lifetime achievement recipients were a husband and wife team.  Those two had done it all – from defending Black Panthers and the Weather Underground during the sixties, to suing every level of the State apparatus.  The woman noted that it was difficult at first to defend a citizen’s rights to blow up bombs in their backyard, “but the Constitution is the Constitution” and must be defended.  I understood from their short speeches that they knew their role in the struggle against power, inequality and State violence – they were there to use the law to hold those in power in check.  Of course they wanted another world, but they recognized the need for the legal work to protect the individual lives that are harmed by the criminal negligence of police, corporations and the State.  The husband spoke passionately against the US as an imperialist empire.  “You can’t have imperialism and democracy.  You can’t have both.”  He urged against insane defense spending and went so far as to voice support for the Vietnamese during the American invasion of Vietnam.  “Vietnam beat the US,” he said.  That tiny country fought the US every step of the way and modeled a mode of resistance against US wars of aggression.  He recognized his work as a lawyer by saying, “Sometimes, if ya can’t kick their ass, you can bite them in the ankles.” 
When it came time for Chomsky to speak, it was ten minutes to the scheduled time for closing remarks, but no one was leaving when the main event was the most cited intellectual alive.  I had an inkling at what Chomsky would talk about.  He’s been giving the same speech for awhile now, but it didn’t take away from the pain, irony and rage that it churned up in my heart and mind.  He began asking the audience if we want organized human existence to continue in the next one hundred years.  He spoke of the “terminal disaster” that the future is converging upon with insane nuclear nation states posturing and politicking all over the globe and he reaffirmed the newest research regarding the apocalyptic reality of global warming.  He called the USA a “rogue state” and didn’t let up. 
In regards to the threat of nuclear war, he cited declassified US and Soviet documents that showed just how close the world came to terminal disaster due to the stupidity of the world’s leaders and a little luck from a few soldiers.  One Soviet soldier was noted to not send a nuclear missile warning up the chain of command because it just seemed too improbable.  At the time the US was testing the missile defense systems on the border of the Soviet Union under Regan’s operation Able-Archer.  Chomsky said every school child should know that Russians name, because without him we wouldn’t be here today.
He quoted the science saying in the next one hundred years the Earth’s climate is going up 4 degrees Celsius which is twice as much as the previous suspected amount and will cause the sea levels to rise fifty feet or so, which will undoubtedly cause a majority of the world’s population to be in some deep water. 
Then he asked, exasperated, what the fuck is the news media reporting on these days?  How is the world being so complicit as the trajectory for human existence in one hundred years goes to shit at the hands of primarily US Republican party politics, but also that capitalist motto of profit over people.  “Those in power know what they’re doing, and yet they do nothing.”  Chomsky went on to say that he, the revolutionary figure in linguistics is at a loss for the word to describe this race towards extinction.  “It’s not insanity,” he said.  It’s something more serious and sinister.
After the doom and gloom, he asked another question: What would the world be like if countries followed their own law?  He cited a US law that says we cannot provide military aid to human rights violators.  Our two biggest recipients of bombs and intelligence are Israel (the apartheid state) and Saudi Arabia (the oil rich country causing famine and a cholera-epidemic in Yemen). 
Then somehow, he turned to the US invasion of the Middle East and how we’ve spent nearly $6 trillion dollars occupying the region.  He noted, oddly, that the returns for the couple of hundred dollars that the terrorists spent to commit 9/11 had the best rate of return than any investment.  He cited post-Soviet Union, US military strategy where general and policy makers agreed that a “Mad Man” strategy would be in the US’ best interest because it would make us seem unpredictable and therefore dangerous.  He gave the example that if a person robs a store with a gun but doesn’t shoot anyone they still used the gun.  The same goes for US foreign policy: if the US invades, or even bullies, a country then we are using nuclear weapons.
He then turned to a short study of what a “humanitarian intervention” really was and which past warlords had used the term.  He found that Mussolini, Japan and Hitler had all claimed their pre-WWII invasions were humanitarian in nature.  Then he cited the NATO bombing of Serbia and later the US bombing of Libya as other examples.  For both acts of war, he quoted government officials saying in more or less words that they dropped bombs because the regions were unwelcoming to western business interests.  He cited India invading West Pakistan and Vietnam invading Cambodia as actual interventions because of a greater evil, but that the US was on the wrong side of those conflicts as well.
He ended with an analysis of a 2008 Supreme Court case that he called the “Heller case.”  The question at hand, said Chomsky, was, “is it the Divine Right of citizens to be able to bring assault rifles into a Starbucks?”  He got truly originalist and questioned the purpose of the 2nd Amendment.  “Why did the founders think men should bear arms?” he asked.  “Two reasons really, to kill Indians and keep down slaves.”  He cited Britain’s suggesting that slavery in the colonies should be abolished at that expansion into the North American continent should at the Appalachian Mountains.  Thus, the Revolutionary war.  Let me repeat, Chomsky said that the Revolutionary war was fought in order for the colonies to keep their slaves and to continue western colonial expansion.  Then he said that the USA has been engaged in arm conflict ever since our foundation. 
I stopped taking notes at this point.  He ended on the need to curb the US empire and work for a better world, but I was just as exhausted then as I am now writing this entire essay in a single, over-caffeinated sitting.
Chomsky was 89 when I met him.  It was a blessing for me to see him, but from what I can tell he’s got more years ahead of him.  His mind keeps him alive.  After all of this, I would ask him how he remains so calm, positive, and agreeable (at least in person, maybe not in ideas) when he exposes himself to so much pain and injustice in the world (apparently, he reads four or five newspapers a day). 
I owe a lot to Noam Chomsky.  When I think of critical thinking or critical lenses in my education class, I think of Noam Chomsky.  I’m afraid no person can take up the mantle of his genius or analysis.  I’m afraid he’s right in his doom and gloom.  I’m afraid I’m right in knowing that this murderous experiment in freedom in the US is coming to a close, at least the ‘freedom’ part anyways.  I’m afraid that the dehumanization of the world’s population by war profiteers, global capitalists, and technocrats is finally going to come to a head.  One of the speakers said, that all revolutionaries hope for the revolution to come in their lifetime but it never does.  My fear is not that the revolution will come, but that the fall of an Empire is going to be messy and idiotic. 
I chose education because it’s sustainable and the necessary precondition for creating another world, a new world in the shell of the old, I just hope 1) there is a world to recreate, and 2) that I can inspire future generations to take on the mantle of revolutionary ways of living like Chomsky inspired in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment