Friday, July 13, 2018

What’s Important: Reflections Across Undergraduate Writings (Fall 2017)


            Before my parents moved to New Mexico this year, my dad gave me a stack of college essays he had written.  One of them in particular caught my attention because he had previously provided me with the book that the paper was written about: “The Little Prince” written and illustrated by Antoine de Saint Exupery.  It’s this combination of artifacts, intimately tied and impossible to negotiate independent of the other, that I have chosen as my topic. 
The paper of the essay is thin and possibly yellowed with age (although I don’t know if there was laser white printing paper in 1978) and has a title page containing the name of the essay (“The Little Prince: friends and grown-ups”), the course number, the date (November 30, 1978) and my father’s name and what I assume is his student number.  Below this the professor has written his comments on the essay in pencil.  The paper received an “A –“ from the professor.
The paperback copy of “The Little Prince” was bought at “the bookstore.”  The sticker in the bottom right corner of the book indicates it’s for the “English 318” class which matches the course description on the title page of my father’s essay.  In 1978, my dad bought this book for $1.75 Canadian dollars.  On the title page of the book is my dad’s youthful signature.  He would later perfect a more Ph. D worthy signature - a signature with sharp discipline, purpose and practice, but this signature, penned in blue ballpoint looks lackadaisical, youthful, and sort of juvenile.  He was 22 after all when the essay was type-written for that unknown professor at Trinity Western in Vancouver, British Columbia.  I am 26 at the time of writing this, which makes me wonder if my child will ever analyze this text for a similar project during their own undergraduate studies.
There’s a blank page after the title page and then the pagination starts at two with the Preface.  It’s nine pages long, but type-written so the margins are nearly an inch and three-quarters – I’m guessing around 1,700 words tops.  The type-written text is the best aesthetic feature of the essay.  So much character.  So much permanence – there are maybe a total of fifteen white out spots and an equal number of grammar corrections done in pencil by the professor.  As I grow from a preservice teacher to a bona-fide teacher, I will make it a point for my students to have to print out their assignments and turn them in so that I may correct them with a thick red pen.  Internet drop boxes with comment bubbles are almost as unsatisfying as corrections done in a #2 pencil.  Give me a hard copy or give me nothing at all.
The annotations of the text are done in the same blue pen.  My mom told me my dad slept in the same sleeping bag through most of his undergrad years so he wouldn’t have to wash sheets, so I’m guessing he was a one-pen-at-a-time kind of student.  I had the same mechanical pencil from second grade till now frankly, so I’m not certain but not entirely surprised by the frugality.  There are about two or three annotations per page, which is fair because this book is legendary, piercing and soulful.  It’s eerie reading my dad’s copy of the book because my annotation wouldn’t be much different – indications of metaphors, double-meanings, clever quips, maxims to live and die by, and just heart-wrenching reminders of what love, knowledge and growing old really means.
The only dog-eared page of the book holds the quote that makes me choke up every time.  It must have this effect on everyone who encounters this text with an open heart and mind.  My dad quoted it at length in his essay so I will do the same, but some context is appropriate for it to mean anything.  The first-person narrator crashed his plane in the desert when a young boy happens upon him and informs him he’s from an asteroid.  This is the Little Prince.  The Prince traveled from his asteroid after cultivating a relationship with a pretentious rose.  Upon his travels he meets an assortment of adults on various asteroids doing menial jobs.  On Earth, his loneliness sets in before a fox befriends him.  After a while he must leave the fox which sets up this exchange:
“Goodbye,” said the fox.  “And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”
“What is essential is invisible to the eye,” the little prince repeated, so that he would be sure to remember.
“It’s the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.”
“It is the time I have wasted for my rose---” said the little prince, so that he would be sure to remember.
“Men have forgotten this truth,” said the fox.  “But you must not forget it.  You become responsible forever, for what you have tamed.  You are responsible for your rose…”
“I am responsible for my rose,” the little prince repeated, so that he would be sure to remember. (87-88)

            After quoting the above section, my dad follows writing:
            Maybe then, some things have to be said.
            But, maybe those things are best said in a children’s story.  Most of the time the matters which really need explanation can only be understood by children and the child that lives in all of us.

After leaving the fox the Little Prince happens upon the downed aviator and asks him to draw him a picture of sheep because he wants to take the sheep back to his asteroid.  After a while, the Little Prince and the aviator-narrator go in search of water, happen upon a well and then tragedy.  The Little Prince must return to his asteroid and allows himself to be bitten by a poisonous snake.  The book ends with the author asking the reader to consider the Little Prince, the sheep and the flower when one looks at the stars, and to wonder if the sheep has eaten the flower that the Little Prince loves.
My dad didn’t share this book with me until I was in my mid-twenties and I actually chastised him for it after reading it through: “Why didn’t you read this to me when I was a kid?!”.  This book holds power.  Ultimately, that’s why he probably never shared this book with me because if I were to read it aloud with another person I would cry and that’s something that we reserve the right to reveal (or not reveal) when the relationship is right.
The most touching part of my dad’s college essay is the Preface because he recognizes that his children’s literature class may be the last time he gets to encounter texts that aren’t beating him over the head with academic (grown-up) jargon.  He writes: “This paper will probably be the last of its kind for me.  And, in some ways I’m glad, but in others I feel regretful…Responding as an individual takes practice, for it involves dropping my intellectual shield and allowing an artist through his play or book to effect [I inherited his trouble with affect/effect] me in way only he, as one particular person, can do so.  I have not done a lot of that and I blame my education for this shortcoming.”  The professor, in pencil writes in the margin, “I’m inclined to agree.”
I put “The Little Prince” on a pedestal which makes it all the more worthwhile to take it down and handle it like I would any other text.  Wikipedia tells me the author is a French aviator turned writer who disappeared over the Mediterranean fighting with the French in North Africa during World War II.  An adventurer, highly-regarded author, turned anti-fascist pilot who didn’t have to return to the World War climate after a hiatus in North America, well that’s just someone who doesn’t ever have to come down from anyone’s pedestal.  The book is accessible.  It should be required reading for all students, much more so than other dead white men because this author, like Hemingway, Camus and Orwell, knew what it meant to fight evil wherever it may gain traction.
The essay was written at a Christian college for a 300-level children’s literature course in Vancouver, Canada by a Chinese twenty-two-year-old son of a truck driver and nurse.  The scripture quoted reads, “Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends (John 15:13 [NAS]).  My dad would go on to teach at a Christian institution only to not receive tenure for not sending my sister and I to overwhelmingly white Christian private schools.  This took him to private practicing and counseling where he remains today.
I value education and knowledge.  I hold all institutions in the lowest regard.  My Christian identity is thin at best and only goes so far as it can support my ideals of resisting power wherever it arises (“Give unto Cesar what is Caesar’s but give unto the Lord what is his.”).  I can pass for white, but am willing to admit my mixed-race identity.  I recognize racism, sexism and classism as oppressions based off arbitrary inheritances given to arbitrary factors of one’s personal existence.  What isn’t arbitrary is how one criticizes or resists injustices based off social constructs, and that’s what I choose to align myself with even if I do it haphazardly or not at all at times (which is a privilege I realize).  If we must quote scripture at length, let us quote the young rich kid who asks Jesus what he can do to get into heaven.  Jesus responds by telling him to sell everything he owns and follow him, which sends the kid away sad because he was really rich.  This is the cost of being a revolutionary, a cost I’m not entirely willing to enact at the present moment, nor a cost I’m entirely sure is necessary given the circumstances of complacency in the United States today.  The arguments to stay or go are both valid, but the material comfort and (although thin) security of being an educator in the US still seems to pave the path of my future.  It’s in this light to remember that what truly matters cannot be seen with the eyes but rather with the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment